That Works for All of Us
Progressive Economic Narrative
An Economy that works for all of us, not just the wealthy few.
Americans understand that the economy now works for just the wealthy – and they want that to change. But they also want to be sure that we can grow the economy and increase prosperity. Our economic story shows that the policies that work for everyone are the same ones that boost economic growth.
The problem – Today, Americans struggle to earn enough to sustain a family, yet corporations use donations and lobbyists to manipulate the rules in their favor.
- It’s time to rewrite the rules to people and families first, instead of the interests of just the wealthy and corporate CEOs.
Solution – We should make improving the incomes of working families and the middle-class our first priority—a strong middle class is the way to build a strong economy and thriving communities.
- Prosperity comes from the middle-out, not trickle-down.
- Working families and the middle class are the engines of our economy. When we have good jobs so we can care for and support our families, educate our children, afford our health care, shop in our neighborhoods and retire in security, we drive the economy forward and build thriving communities.
- When we include everyone in our economy, we all do better.
How we get there – We build a strong middle class by decisions we make together. It’s time to rewrite the rules of the economy and politics to benefit all Americans by [issue examples in values terms]…:
- Economic example: Raising wages for working people with equal pay for women, boosting the minimum wage and creating more family-supporting jobs by investing in infrastructure and clean, renewable energy.
- Political example: Rewrite the rules of elections so that everyday Americans can represent us by running for office on the strength of their support from small donations—not big checks from the wealthiest Americans.
- Talking about race: Taking down the barriers – discrimination in hiring, underfunded schools, a biased criminal justice system – that block equal opportunities for Blacks and Latinos.
Call to action – Together we can build an America that works for all of us.
- The issue is not the size of our government, it’s who our government works for: the super-rich and corporate CEOs or working families and the middle class?
- We’re working to build an America that works for all of us, not just the wealthy and well connected.
- When you said the pledge of allegiance was it for liberty and justice for the few, for the super-rich? Or for all? Americans have done this before. We can do it again. Together we can build an America with liberty and justice for all for all of us.
To access the Speaker notes: on the Google Slides control panel select the options button (gear icon), then open speaker notes.
Toolkit for Progressive Economic Narrative
Boost or Bust – animated video on economy boosting jobs
Training on how to put the Progressive Economic Narrative in your own words
Links to economic research behind the narrative [all attached].
- AFL-CIO Words that Work (Lake Research Partners and ASO Communications).pdf
- Everyone Economics (Hart Research Associates).pdf
- Putting Families First – Good Jobs for All (LRP and ASO).pdf
- Rewriting the Rules of the American Economy (Greenberg, Quinlan, Rosner Research).pdf